Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Spinning Around

Today has been one of those very weird days where it seemed like I was spinning round in circles. I’ve been turning possible scenarios round and round in my head for our upcoming move. We’re lucky to have lots of choices. We could sell the house we live in now as we originally planned, or we could rent it out. We could buy down near London straight away, or we could rent and then buy. We could move at the end of September, or maybe later on in October. AARRRGGHHHH!! There are far too many choices really, although I’m grateful for the luxury of them. It’s just that things are beginning to get just a tad complicated.

You see, this morning, I was confronted with the harsh realities of being a buyer looking strictly at new build homes. The developers really do not care, and despite their reassurances that they will keep you posted on developments (ie. sales!) they really do have far too many people to call to do that. Naively I did not telephone until today, two weeks after we had viewed the two styles of home we really liked in a very nice location. There are (or were!) five possible houses we could have. Now there are two. If I had known that I might lose out on these properties without notice, arrangements could have been put in place to secure them. I was not impressed.

In the end, the only thing that calmed me down was a good run. Although I’ve never been stick thin (except when I was anorexic in my late teens) and tend more towards a voluptuous size 12 figure, I’ve do believe that exercise is the key to keeping fit and controlling one’s weight. Not that I’ve always been fit. I was the kid in PE who was never chosen for games, who got exhausted in cross country running class and who hated sports day. But when I was in my twenties, I discovered that exercise could work all kinds of miracles. I’ve done it all, Jane Fonda, Callanetics, Pilates, Yoga, Yogalates etc etc. Not only do I belong to a gym, I actually go to the classes there regularly.

Recently we even bought a treadmill to have at home. Allegedly it was for all of us to use, but at the moment it is only me who makes use of it. I also found a fabulous book called Running Made Easy by Susie Whalley, Lisa Jackson, and Zest magazine (available on www.amazon.co.uk) It has a programme in it where you start out running for a minute and then walking for a minute and slowly work your way up. It is utterly brilliant and I recommend it highly. I have gotten to the stage where I am run / walking for half an hour at least three times a week. I do a little over four miles each time and have run for as many as six minutes without stopping.

Today was an epiphany though. I ran for three minutes and was ready to do a walking section when I thought, “No, just keep going”. I did, a minute at a time, until I had run for ten minutes solid. I have never in my life run for ten minutes solid. It was incredible. Needless to say, the rest of my workout went amazingly well (and included another section of running for eight minutes plus two five minute runs!). When I finished I was high as a kite. My head had stopped spinning and I felt much more optimistic.

All that stuff about exercise releasing endorphins is totally true. And although A teases me about my muffin top (which is very small I hasten to add!) I have abs of steel from the waist up ever since I’ve started a new pure core class combined with the running. I may have no idea what the heck we are doing in terms of our domestic situation or where we’ll be living in September / October, but I’m fit, strong, and on a good day, capable of taking on the world.

Even if you have never taken any exercise for years, I encourage you to just go for a walk. Take it slowly and build up gradually so you don’t injure yourself or get discouraged. Always check with your doctor if you have been inactive for a long time as well. But do something, however little it might be. You really will feel so much better. Go on, go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.