Saturday, March 29, 2008

And it’s the Weekend Again?!

Seriously, time is just flying by for the 21st Century Household! We had a really busy week with Alex’s performances in the orchestra for Bugsy Malone at school. He missed the auditions for the show due to us being in Canada when Dad died, but they asked him to play in the orchestra instead. It was a real eye opener for Alex and has gotten him bitten by the acting bug again. Although he loves playing his trumpet, he said he really missed being one of the actors. I’m secretly pleased, although I love hearing him play the trumpet and am amazed by how talented he has become at an instrument I did not even realise he was interested in when he started playing at age 7. We went to an information evening at his school about music lessons and he asked about trumpet – and we went home with one! Ever since then it has been his favourite instrument, second to piano and guitar. I just bought Alex a new trumpet and he is loving playing with a more advanced instrument. I had been putting the purchase off, but now I wish I had bought Alex a new trumpet ages ago.

Guy was in Madrid for the day on Wednesday, which sounds exotic, but he was so busy he could have been anywhere. Actually I would have loved to have tagged along, but it was just too busy a week and too short a visit.

Last night we went to see Phantom of the Opera at Her Majesty’s Theatre. Despite my protestations to the contrary in my 26th March entry, I think I was secretly hoping for a happier ending than there is. I did not enjoy the story at all. I think it was that much of it dealt with death and, particularly the scene in the graveyard with the song “Wishing you were somehow here again” which Christine sings to her father’s grave, was just too close to the bone for me at the moment. I struggled not to actually sob out loud, and walked out of the theatre looking like an advertisement for why you should wear waterproof mascara. Having said that, the music, the performers, the costumes, everything is just incredible. It is one of the most amazing shows I have ever seen and I just have to recommend it.

Luckily we had gone for a quick bite to eat before the show (so hardly anyone saw my racoon eyes!). We ate at a lovely little Tuscan restaurant just beside the theatre in The Haymarket called Galileo's Locanda Toscan Restaurant. We had been there before, when Alex performed at Her Majesty’s Theatre last August. It is very simple and the food is delicious. We all love their Scaloppini Milanese, veal escallops breaded, fried and served with roast potatoes and vegetables.

It was a lovely evening, and I am so glad to have finally seen Phantom after having heard so much about it. It is an absolute triumph of a musical – shame it isn’t more cheerful, but then the story of the Phantom of the Opera never was a happy one!

Today we are off to spend the weekend with our friends in Buckinghamshire. They used to live just down the road from us and we really miss them. Tomorrow we are going to see their new home, which they are building in the countryside, for the first time. It is nearly finished but this will be the first we have been able to get there to see it. We’ve watched it go up in pictures, and I cannot wait to see the real thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.