Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Where did the weekend go?

Well, I do not know where the time has gone! We had a fantastic Easter Sunday at our friends in Dorset. It was so nice to see them and catch up with all the news. We even made it to the sea side at Lyme Regis which was great fun.

Driving to Dorset was quite something as we seemed to drive through all the seasons of the year in just a couple hours’ drive. From rain when we left Reading, to a proper snowstorm in Hampshire (like a Canadian one, it was quite something!) to brilliant sunshine in Dorset, every time we turned the corner it was something different!

Monday we spent doing jobs at home, and really managed to shift quite a few boxes from the study which was very satisfying. We even managed to put up some pictures, which has made the place look even more like home. We also managed a walk up to the dell where Mom and Dad’s ashes are. Despite raining almost the whole walk up there, when we got to the dell the sun was shining through the trees and the rain was glinting on the bluebells – which are mostly still green leaves – but there were a couple out, a delicious promise of the carpet of beauty to come.

Yesterday I had a super visit with my friend Alice in Burton on Trent. We had lunch at the Wyevale Garden Centre in Findern and took the opportunity to have a good chat and a catch up. Alice also helped me choose some lovely plants for my garden. Alice is fantastic to talk to and so honest and practical it is a delight. She suggested that I seem to still be terribly upset about Mom and Dad and suggested that perhaps talking to a bereavement counsellor might be a good idea. I think I will take her advice as I still can’t seem to get over their deaths at all, and I have nightmares nearly every night.

Today has been pretty domestic. I got the last of my curtains from Peppermint Interiors. They are really beautiful and I’m very pleased with them. I also had my blinds from Laura Ashley installed in the kitchen. They look amazing, along with the curtains which I already had. There are three huge windows in the kitchen so it was a challenge curtaining them effectively, but I am really pleased with it. I am very happy with the fitter that Laura Ashley recommended and thankfully he also makes curtains! So I spent some time choosing a gorgeous fabric for the dining room curtains, plus fabric for blinds for the cloakroom and the two big windows in the hall and landing. He recommended some amazing fabrics and I’m really excited about them. In fact, if all goes well, I should have the whole house curtained within the next four weeks! Finally!!

Tonight and tomorrow Alex is playing in the orchestra for his school’s production of Bugsy Malone. Guy and I are attending the performance tomorrow and I’m really looking forward to it. Then on Friday we are going to see Phantom of the Opera in London. Alex performed at Her Majesty’s Theatre last summer so has seen all the backstage paraphernalia for the show and is excited to see it first hand, as I’m I. He has warned me it is “not a happy story” but I don’t care. Although I normally insist on being assured of a happy ending before I’ll go to see something, I can make an exception just this once!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.