Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Why Did I Worry?

I did not sleep at all well last night. I was worried sick about everything I have to do for Mom and Dad’s estates, about the taxes, administration and everything in between. I woke up this morning with a sense of dread. I need not have.

First thing this morning we met with the wonderful lady who was my Dad’s accountant for many years. Not only did she used to visit my Dad in hospital when he was sick, she came to both my parents funerals despite the fact she was in the middle of losing someone herself. She is also a kick ass accountant who I cannot recommend highly enough. By two thirty today I realised I need not have worried as everything was in hand. Not only had she given me a really good estimate of the tax for next year, she had got refunds for both my parents’ estates for this year. As she completed the returns in less than four hours, I assumed I might pay a premium. This was not the case. Her charges were more than reasonable – in fact, less than last year! What a star, and what a super lady.

I’ve also got a fantastic lady who helps us at my parents’ bank, and our financial advisor has a wonderful assistant. I even managed to find some really nice folks at Services Canada to help find out what on earth happened to my Dad’s death benefit. (I still don’t understand how anything can be called a death benefit, but there you go.) Okay, everything is not totally sorted, but not sleeping last night was a complete waste of time.

It was a lovely treat to hear from an old friend (in terms of how long I’ve known her, not how old she is!) this morning. She has invited us round to her house for a drink on Thursday night, something I am really looking forward to. I’ve also managed to catch up with my very oldest friend (again, in terms of how long I’ve known her, which in this case is virtually since birth) and sorted out a meeting with her and her family tomorrow night at one of our favourite restaurants. It may be a sad visit in terms of having to sort out everything with Mom and Dad’s stuff, and being confronted with their loss at every turn, but I’m grateful for all the really nice things that are happening as well.

Tonight we are going out for dinner to the Charcoal Steak House. It’s kind of an institution in Kitchener, and I sort of felt the need to go there. It’s the sort of place you go when you have “arrived”, if you are a local. So we’ll see if it lives up to its reputation. Last time we were there was many years ago with my Mom and Dad. Dad wasn’t much into it, as he didn’t have an ounce of pretence to his name, and the Charcoal did once have a reputation for being a bit pretentious. I’m interested to see how it has evolved. I’ll let you know tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.