Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day

It was bound to be a strange kind of day today as, once again, it is one of those “firsts since Dad died”. So I really felt the loss of my Dad today, just like everyone out there who has lost a Dad does on Father’s Day. And yet, despite moments of sadness, it was a really lovely day.

I had really taken a lot of time to plan today as I wanted it to be a lovely Father’s Day for Guy. So this morning Alex and I were really excited as we watched Guy open his present which was tickets for the three of us to attend the British International Motor Show in July. He was really pleased and that made me very happy. I had booked a table at The Beetle and Wedge for lunch at 1pm. We have never been there before and it comes highly recommended by Guy’s Mom, my curtain maker and many other folks locally, so we were quite excited to be going. I was very pleased that they had given us a table right beside the window so we could look out over the Thames, watching the boats and ducks go by. The view from our table really enhanced the meal and when several families of Canada Geese swam past complete with dozens of goslings we were all flabbergasted, having never seen that many goslings together ever before. Wonderful! The food was amazing, really delicious. We had a variety of starters – Alex had crispy duck on a rosti which he said was the best duck he had ever tasted, I had a lovely crab pate with lemon cream and Guy had mussels which he thoroughly enjoyed. For main course Alex had a steak with béarnaise sauce and Guy and I had roast Pollock with tiger prawns and mango salsa. Alex said he steak was great and Guy and I found our fish to be light and delicious. The mango salsa was a lovely surprise. Dessert was sticky toffee pudding with butterscotch sauce and vanilla ice cream for Alex and I. It was different than I have ever had before, with the sticky toffee pudding served in slices. It was actually quite light and totally scrumptious. Guy had a lemon tart with raspberry coulis which he very kindly allowed me to taste – stunning. It had one of the lightest pastries I had ever had and the lemon filling was a stunning balance of tart and sweet.

We came home after lunch and Guy and I went for a walk. We followed the Thames Path from Mapleduram Lock a little over half way to Pangbourne and the followed it back home. We are so lucky to have such super walks on our doorstep. In the end our round trip was about five miles, so hopefully we walked off most of our lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.