Friday, June 06, 2008

It's a Wonderful Life


I have had the most wonderful couple of days!

On Wednesday Guy and I travelled up to Burton on Trent to see my dear friend Alice. We went for lunch at The Brookhouse Hotel, a restaurant in Rolleston on Dove, just outside of Burton. The food is delicious, and we had a lovely visit. Afterwards we went to the Wyevale Garden Centre at Rangemore and Alice bought me two gorgeous roses for my birthday –Gertrude Jekyll and Anne Boleyn. On the way home, we stopped at a farm shop and picked up asparagus and strawberries for dinner with Alex. Lovely!

First thing yesterday it was time for cards and presents. I was really spoiled, especially by Guy who bought me a beautiful diamond necklace, a circle of diamonds symbolising eternity and endless love. I was overwhelmed. It is so pretty. After Alex went off to school, Guy and I went into Pangbourne first thing and picked up a few bits and pieces, including some yummy cheese from Grey’s Cheese Shop which we had for lunch with a fresh baguette. We then headed off into London on the train to do some shopping. I was looking for a dress for Ladies’ Day at Royal Ascot which I am attending in a couple of weeks. We started off at Harrods, but for the first time I was disappointed in the choice I found there. Everything seemed to have turned over for Autumn, just slightly too early for me (although I appreciate that now is when the Autumn clothes have always appeared in the shops). We wandered outside, into Monsoon where I tried on a couple of dresses. One was lovely but I was between sizes and neither one fit properly. Jaeger was just down the road and I immediately found at least twelve things I wanted to try on. I always have trouble getting things to fit as I am an hourglass shape and so many things seem to be designed for people who are not hourglass shapes! But finally I tried on a dress which was just my style and exactly what I wanted that fit just beautifully. It came with a matching jacket, but the only one they had was too big, so the saleslady found me another which was very nice so I purchased the dress and jacket. We then headed off for another branch of Jaeger, in Regent Street, to try to find the first jacket so I can mix and match. Not only did they have the jacket, but a fabulous belt as well, so I’ve got a great outfit with lots of individual pieces I can mix and match not only within that one outfit but with other things I already have as well. Just the way I like it! The even better bit was that by signing up for their loyalty card which allows me to collect points towards money off future purchases, I got a twenty percent discount on everything which meant quite a substantial saving.

Alexander came into London after school and we met up at this point and headed off to John Lewis. Alex went to look at technology and Guy helped me to choose a hat to go with my dress for Ascot. There were lots of ladies in the hat department, all of us trying on hats for Ladies Day. Guy and I found a fantastic one with just the right amount of wow factor for me without being too over the top!

It was then time to head off for my birthday dinner at The Criterion Restaurant in Piccadilly Circus which I have talked more about on my recommended restaurants page. It is a beautiful restaurant and we had a fabulous time. The food was wonderful and Guy, Alex and I had a brilliant evening. Guy took the photograph of Alex and I above. I had a lovely birthday and I’m so grateful to have been able to spend it with the two most special people in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.