Monday, June 23, 2008

What Other People Expect

I read Oprah Winfrey’s interview of her dear friend Maria Shriver in the June 2008 issue of 'O' Magazine this morning and I found it really interesting and uplifting. If you can get a copy of it, I highly recommend reading it. I’ve always admired Maria Shriver and never ever thought she might have had even a single moment of self doubt. Turns out that really isn’t the case. But the thing I found most inspiring was that – when talking about her “aha! moment" in a speech at the Long Beach Convention Centre - she said she realised that “You can spend the rest of your life trying to figure out what other people expect from you…or you can make a decision to let that all go.”

I had to read that quote twice. Can you really do that – let all that go? I’ve spent a huge amount of time trying to figure out and do what I believe others expect of me. The idea that you don’t have to do that is beyond liberating. I felt like a huge weight had been lifted from me. Anyway, it turns out doing just that has worked very well for Maria Shriver, and she has written a book about it called “Just Who Will You Be?”. I’ve ordered a copy from Amazon today.

It’s been a great day actually. I had an amazing run with Judith (my personal trainer) this morning. It is the best I have ever managed and I felt very good indeed afterwards. It’s really sunny here and getting more and more like summer as well. I also had a totally unsolicited compliment from someone that made me feel really good about myself. Not bad - and it’s only 3.15pm!

The weekend was really good. We had a wonderful visit with Guy’s parents on Saturday. Everything I cooked turned out and everyone seemed to really enjoy themselves. On Sunday Guy, Alex and I spent a lot of time working in the garden and it really is coming together beautifully. I really enjoy wandering out there now to look at the flowers and plants. A lot of them have been given to me by friends and family and it brings me great pleasure to look at them and know they were given to me by people who love me.

Tomorrow our friends Mike and Jayne are coming for dinner and a visit. We are all really looking forward to that. They used to live just down the road from us in Derby. Ironically, we all moved on the same day but to very different villages! I must admit we miss having them close by, but when their new home is finished they will only be an hour down the road so that will be nice. I’ve found a great Nigella Lawson recipe for dessert – Orange Scented Brioche Pudding from her book “Feast”. I normally would not make a new recipe for the first time when cooking for friends, but I’ve made Nigella’s Ginger Bread and Butter Pudding before and the method is very similar.. Hopefully it will be fine. I just can’t decide what to make for a main course. I guess I’ll have to go to the grocery store and see what looks fresh and delicious. I’ll let you know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.