Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Musings on Life in General...

How did it get to be the 22nd of July? It seems like two minutes ago I was staggered that it was going to be the beginning of July, and now I’m having the same feeling about the beginning of August! Just for fun, I had a look on the internet and it seems everyone is feeling the same way. There are lots of theories as to why this is, from the very scary metaphysical “time is going faster” - which I don’t believe - to “we are busier so it goes faster”, to the old chestnut, “time goes faster the older you get”. Whatever the reason really is, I hope it slows down. Mind you, I think it might be because we are all so into planning in advance these days. My diary and our family diary is booked up nearly till the end of the year and the few remaining slots are rapidly being filled up. Everyone is so busy it is the only way you can be sure to see the folks you want to see and do the things you want to do. I mean, Guy and I have diary reconciliation meetings – and now Alex is part of them as well. My parents certainly never did that. Having said that, our life is pretty exciting a lot of the time. More exciting than I remember life being as a kid anyway. But I do think that is why time is going faster – we’ve become a society of advance planners. Apart from the hurtling time problem, that’s comforting for people like me who struggle with spontaneity.

I can sometimes be a bit rigid in my thinking as well, which is something I work on constantly. Like I thought that doing circuit training could not possibly be as good for you as running. Well, yesterday my personal trainer, Judith from EnExcel Fitness, worked through a Circuit training programme with me. I can definitely say I had the wrong impression about circuits. I’ve never worked so hard or enjoyed it so much in my life. I seem to suit short bursts of activity. Perhaps I do have a short attention span after all! I have to say, between Judith’s personal training, Kelly from Berkshire Pilates’ Pilates training and my yoga teacher’ one-to-one yoga classes, my body is really getting fitter, stronger and more toned. Plus the aches and pains I used to get in my back and shoulders have completely vanished. It’s definitely well worth the effort I’m putting in.

I do have to say that I’m glad summer seems to have finally arrived. There were days last week when I was wearing a leather jacket. That’s just not on for July. I don’t know about this global warming stuff. I think it’s more like global cooling! Bring on the sunshine!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.