Monday, September 29, 2008

Saturday 28th September

It had been quite a strange few days actually as first thing Wednesday morning as I was getting ready to drive up to Burton on Trent with Alex I had a text message from a dear friend saying that her husband had left her. This couple have been together for over twenty years, and married for eighteen of those. In fact, they are Alex’s Godparents and I was, quite simply floored by this totally unexpected news. So over the next few days I spent a lot of time on the phone with my friend, as did Guy – and a lot of time thinking about how blessed Guy and I are to have weathered the storms that we have – and believe me there have been a few! I am so grateful they have made us stronger as a couple instead of tearing us apart. It’s something I do not take for granted for even one second.

I spent Friday doing a lot of tidying up and getting ready for the get together we had planned on Saturday with my cousins. Somehow, in the midst of that tidying, I started to feel a connection with our house for the first time since we moved in last December. Throughout all the chaos and upset of our first few months in this house, I had felt nothing for it, nothing whatsoever. This was extremely strange for me as I always develop a connection with the homes I love, and this house is really beautiful and something I was very keen to purchase. Still, with everything that happened, and the amount of time we spent away, I felt a huge sense of disconnect. But somewhere in the late hours of Friday, I began to feel a real sense of being at home. It’s amazing what a bit of clutter removal and a sense of gratitude will do!

Saturday morning I woke up with a wonderful joyful feeling for the first time in months. I felt like a great weight had been lifted from me, and I was really excited about being able to entertain practically an entire side of my family at one time in my own home. And we did have a wonderful day. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. It was great to be able to go through old photographs and talk about the people in them (some of whom my cousins recognised and I did not so that was brilliant). And just being able to visit, all of us together for the first time in England, was totally brilliant. We were able to talk about our family members who had died recently with smiles on our faces, remembering lots of happy memories, and I began to feel a real sense of healing. What a fantastic day! The weather was gorgeous and Guy, Alex and I were able to show our cousins round our local area, including a visit to my favourite little local village, Pangbourne, and a walk down by the Thames.

It was, quite simply, one of the best days we’ve had in ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.