Monday, December 15, 2008

The Weekend

It has been a fun weekend, but it sure wasn’t without it’s share of minor glitches! We are still trying to find a car for the 21st Century Husband. We think we have one, in fact we have put a deposit on it, and are trusting our local dealership to obtain it for us in an auction. The auction was supposed to be on Friday, but then there was a hiccup about the personalised number plate on the car, so it was delayed till next Wednesday. (They are not sure if the car is being sold with the plate, or if the registration number is being transferred.) So we are still hanging, waiting to see if it will be ours and, if so, how long it will take to get it! The garage are assuring us of next Friday but I’ll believe that when I see it! They seem very confident of obtaining it. So I went into the dealership to sign some papers and then thought I would “pop” into town to return some things that did not fit at Marks and Spencer. I parked in the Oracle, which is the local shopping centre, and went off to do my returning, and also a bit of Christmas shopping. I decided to head home about 3.30pm, along with about five hundred other people. In the end I queued twenty minutes just to pay my ticket, but the worse was yet to come. I just about managed to squeeze out of my parking space and into the traffic queuing to get out of the car park. I then sat there, barely moving, for forty-five minutes. I don’t do enclosed spaces, and I was on the fifth floor. I finally managed to inch my way on to the exit ramp, but in the end, it took me an hour and a half to get out of the car park! I had to stop at Waitrose (our local grocery store) on the way home as well, so by the time I got home I really was in need of a very strong drink. Unfortunately it was only just six o’clock so I waited until the 21st Century Husband got home about eight before I had a very relaxing glass of wine!

Saturday we were up early as we had appointments at our aesthetician in Burton-on-Trent – Eve at Eden Beauty. Eve has recently refurbished her premises and is in the process of renaming it Mimi Day Spa. It is looking absolutely lovely. We spent a few hours being pampered – the 21st Century Husband had a facial, massage and manicure, the 21st Century Teenager had a manicure and I had a manicure, pedicure and eyelash tint. Then we had to hightail it back down south on the motorway, as the 21st Century Husband and I were due at a Christmas party in London in the evening.

The driver collected us at 6.45pm, and we set off on a journey which should have taken us about an hour and a half. However, traffic in London was terrible on Saturday night, and in the end we did not arrive at the party until 9pm. It started at 7.30pm, so we kind of took the idea of being “fashionably late” to new heights! On the positive side, our drive took us on the route through the West End of London, past all the amazing shop windows, including the ones at Harrods, which were quite something. We found out later most of the city was blocked up, because of something that had happened on The Embankment, pushing all the traffic on to the roads deeper into the city and causing gridlock. The party was lovely though. It was held in a restaurant called 1 Lombard Street (which is also the address!) located in a building which used to be one of the old establishment banks. The interior was beautiful, all neo classical décor and even a domed ceiling. We had a lovely evening. The company was lovely and the food and drink were just delicious. Instead of a sit down meal, there was a constant stream of intriguing hors d’oeuvres. From miniature hamburgers and hot dogs to tiny canapés and cones of hot chips (French Fries), the waiters and waitresses urged us to try as many as possible. As the evening wore on, the menu then changed to plates of tiny brownies and little baby raspberry cream meringues. The very amusing bar staff kept our glasses full all evening– dancing around behind the bar and creating scenes reminiscent of the old film “Cocktail”. We really did have a wonderful time. The driver collected us again just after midnight. The party was far from over, but it would take us over an hour to get home and I really don’t do very late nights any more. I’m a bit like Cinderella - I wilt after midnight. It was a good time to depart, just as things were still very merry but not too much so!

Sunday was a lovely day, just spend pottering around home. We have had very little quiet time in our new home as we have been travelling and entertaining so much, so it was delightful. We slept late, had brunch instead of breakfast and lunch, and I cooked a beautiful piece of beef for dinner. We also managed to get some of the things on our “to do” list done which was very nice as well. I hope we get to spend some more quiet time at home soon as it really does do us good. It’s funny how when I was younger a full diary was my absolute ideal, but now I have one, I crave quiet times spent at home with my family. Still, the grass is always greener – and sometimes you really do have to be careful what you wish for!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.