Monday, January 19, 2009

A Wonderful Weekend

The weekend absolutely flew by, but it was really a lovely couple of days. It was great to see our friends. We went for two lovely walks, one through the forest near our house and one down by the lock. I made a very successful dinner on Saturday night. We started with the 21st Century Husband’s famous champagne cocktail. It consists of Cointreau or Grand Marnier, Brandy and of course champagne. He always mixes it by eye, and says only that you want “more Cointreau than Brandy” so it is very much his speciality. It never tastes the same when I make it! If you want to try it, I suggest about 3 tablespoons of Cointreau and one of Brandy topped up with champagne. Be warned, it’s strong! For dinner I made salmon mousse followed by Nutty Pork Chops, new potatoes and salad. Dessert was my Grandma’s Lemon Pudding (see my Recipe of the Week for October 29, 2007 on http://www.21stcenturyhousewife.com/ ) and of course we had cheese and Port to finish. We then played tennis on the Wii which was really funny. It was a wonderful evening.

After our walk on Sunday morning I made a traditional Sunday lunch, serving my new Winter Casserole Recipe (see this week's Recipe of the Week in the column on the right or on http://www.21stcenturyhousewife.com/ ), with mashed potatoes, Yorkshire pudding and vegetables.

When our visitors left late Sunday afternoon we set about getting organised for the week. Later we sat down to watch the wonderfully uplifting film “The Women”. We ate tea while we were watching - salad with pancetta alongside leftover meat and cheese. It was really relaxed and good fun.

This was the way I like my weekends - full of family, friends, food and fun. Especially this time of year, it is nice to spend time at home in good company, eating and drinking and enjoying yourself. It’s also a great way to avoid the credit crunch as it is so much cheaper than going out! Whatever, I am very grateful for a lovely couple of days!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.