Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Monday Morning Blues

Like most people, I rely on weekends with my family to recharge me and fill me with energy for the challenges of the week ahead. Most of the time it works brilliantly, but every once in a while it isn’t quite as successful.

The weekend started off reasonably well though. The 21st Century Husband and I had a very nice meal out on Friday night - which gave us some much needed time together and that we really enjoyed. We were really looking forward to a planned trip to the theatre with our son on Saturday afternoon to see Waiting for Godot.

Now, I know that Waiting for Godot is a very “heavy” play, full of symbolism and metaphor - but we were all excited to see Patrick Stewart, Sir Ian McKellan and Simon Callow performing. I figured that even if the play was a bit beyond me, I could watch actors like that perform just about anything and enjoy it.

Before I go on, I must say that the performance was brilliantly acted. However, Waiting for Godot was Not My Kind of Play At All. The story is not a happy one (and to be fair I did know this before we went), but I did not realise just how catastrophically depressing it could be when you were feeling a bit low to start with. (I was still feeling very sad about our friend L, and we had attended a funeral for our friend’s mum on Friday as well, so a play with death as one of its themes was just Not A Good Idea.) Seriously, it was such a dark story!! I did learn that no matter how brilliant the actors, there really are plays I can only just barely sit through. I ached to leave at the interval, and by mid-way through the second act was praying for the play to be over. I feel sad saying this because it is in no way a criticism of the actors, the fact the play was just not to my taste is hardly the fault of those involved in it.

In fact, we were all feeling so sad after the play that we really needed cheering up. So we decided to go shopping, and then to one of our favourite restaurants, Piccolino (in Heddon Street, just off Regent Street). Both the shopping and the meal cheered us all up immeasurably. There is something wonderful about sipping a glass of wine, eating a lovely meal in good company and knowing that in the bag on the chair opposite are new shoes from Russell and Bromley for everyone at the table. Yes, it is unbelievably shallow, but it is true.

For some reason even Sunday was a bit overshadowed by everything. Added to this we had A Lot To Get Done and the fact that the day hurtled by at the speed of sound did not help. Despite a very successful shopping trip in the morning, by late afternoon we were all feeling awfully grumpy and things got very stormy indeed before teatime. Although everything did settle down and we had a very nice evening in the end, it just was not one of those weekends that make me feel refreshed and ready to take on the world.

Then this morning the alarm did not go off (we have not yet got the hang of our new iPod/clock radio alarm), and it was a totally chaotic Monday morning.

It made me think about how I always go on about not putting all your eggs in one basket (in this case the weekend) and that really you should give yourself little boosts with things to look forward to every day. I should take my own advice more often. You see, by relying on the weekend to refresh me, the fact that it didn’t go quite as well as I had planned has left me with a really bad case of the Monday morning blues. In fact, I’m finding it very hard to get motivated this morning!

Thankfully I just have to remember to focus on the positive and the day should turn itself around. I think I’ll just go get a coffee...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.