Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Book Club


Ever since I was a little girl, I have loved to read. I used to devour books like other folks devoured candy, and with just as much pleasure. Nowadays I don’t have that much time to read, so I really treasure the time I can spend curled up with a good book. But when you don’t have a lot of time to devote to one of your favourite hobbies, you want to be sure the time you do have is time well spent.

One way some people make sure they get to spend quality time reading is to join a book club. But again, I really don’t have the time for that, and I also worry that I might have to read books chosen by others that I don’t necessarily like that much. As someone who believes reading should be a pleasure, not a chore, that thought does not appeal. Thankfully, there is an easy on-line solution to this problem.

The lovely lady pictured above is Suzanne Beecher. Suzanne and I have never met, but every weekday morning Suzanne sends me an email. You see, I belong to the Dear Reader Book Clubs.

Each of Suzanne’s daily emails contains an excerpt from the book she is featuring that week. Over the course of the week, I am able to read the first chapter or so of the book, and decide if it is one I would like to read the whole of - in which case, I can either request it from my local library or buy it. If I don’t like it I can (in Suzanne’s words) “press the delete key” without any guilt whatsoever.

There are several different book clubs on offer and you can belong to as many of them as you like, free of charge, regardless of where you live in the world. Book clubs include fiction, non-fiction, business, mystery, teen, good news, science fiction, thriller and more. There is even a pre-publication book club. There is also a new “Author Buzz” section each week where you can “meet the authors” and a book forum where you can discuss that week’s selection with other readers from your club.

It’s a super way to find out about new books and Suzanne’s emails are a great way to start the day. So for sample books in your email, plus authors, discussion, recipes and prizes, please click here.

In Suzanne’s words:-

“Sign up for a free book club and every day I’ll email you a 5-minute portion of a book. I’ll send a different book each week and you can sample two to three chapters. Before long you’ll be hooked on a book and you just might win a bubble machine, a signed copy of a book, or some of my homemade chocolate chip cookies too—I love to bake for readers.” —Suzanne Beecher
Do be sure to visit www.dearreader.com. I’m sure you will be very glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.