Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Champagne and Sausages


Thanks to my husband, we had something special to celebrate last night. He’s a very dedicated man and an incredibly hard worker, and when he reaps the rewards of that I like to make a big deal of it. He is quick to celebrate my successes and I want to be just as quick to celebrate his.

Having said that, I’m a real planner and not the most spontaneous of souls, so was reluctant to depart from my planned menu for the evening -sausages and mash. So, in the spirit of being flexible and spontaneous, I decided that just because sausages and mash is not the most elegant of dinners, it was nothing that could not be dressed up with a little bit of bubbly.

I always keep good champagne in the fridge. I’m one of those people who likes to find things to celebrate - and not just because I love champagne! I don’t like the idea of waiting for something huge just to have a celebration. There is lots to celebrate in life; you just have to look out for it. One of the ways we do this in our family is to celebrate every success, however big or small. Interestingly enough, celebrating the little things seems to bring more to celebrate into our lives!

Now I am sure there are some gourmets out there who are cringing as they read this but I have to say, I have yet to find a meal champagne does not compliment. Not only that, but champagne is not the sort of thing that keeps well, and you don’t want to waste it by just having a couple of glasses and leaving the rest of the bottle to go flat. (Despite many attempts, I have never got that silver spoon in the neck of the bottle thing to work - the champagne always loses its fizz.) Furthermore, you don’t want to be drinking both wine and champagne of an evening on a regular basis because it really would not be good for you. So why not open a bottle of bubbly to celebrate and then serve it alongside dinner as well? It really is a lovely treat.

And if the recession has you in its grip and champagne is not really an option, may I suggest a lovely Italian wine called Prosecco? There are many different brands and it really is extremely delicious but about a quarter the price of good champagne. Any bubbles are celebratory; it really does not matter how expensive they are or what the labels says. I’d never complain if I was served a glass of Prosecco, that is for sure!

But last night, it was champagne and sausages to celebrate a wonderful man, a great provider and a super person. He’s a great dad to our son, and a wonderful husband to me - someone loves me through thick and thin, and who buys me flowers for no reason at all. I’m so very grateful to have such a lovely man in my life. He gives me something to celebrate every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.