Thursday, October 29, 2009

After All These Years




Today I stood in the shadow of the Acropolis in awe. I have dreamed of standing here for so long (seriously, I actually dreamed it nights from the time I was about ten!) and today I climbed the (very big) hill and stood in the footsteps of history. Wow. God is amazing - he does make dreams come true; you just have to have a little patience.

Actually, it was a lot better than I dreamed. I didn’t know I’d be standing there with a wonderful husband and a fantastic son, nor that the light would be so incredible, nor that (as the icing on the cake), there would be a Canadian flag flying at the foot of the columns of the Parthenon when I reached the top. It’s in celebration of the 2010 Winter Olympics which will take place in Vancouver. Four days ago, at Olympia, the Olympic flame began its journey to Canada. I’ve never experienced anything like seeing the gorgeous maple leaf flying proud at the foot of all that history. It was incredible. Okay, where I come from in Ontario is a long way from Vancouver, but I’m still proud anyway. Well done Vancouver - I’m sure it will be an amazing winter Olympics! On most of the street corners on the way down from the Acropolis there are Greek and Canadian flags flying side by side. Real heart-stirring stuff!

I’ve only been in Athens for a few hours, but I have to say I’m really loving it. It is such a beautiful city. We had a quick visit to the new Acropolis museum and I cannot wait to go back tomorrow. There are glass panels over the excavations - and you can walk over top of them. It is like nothing I could ever have imagined. I can’t wait to explore more of this amazing place.