Monday, October 19, 2009

I'm A Flea Marketeer Party

The folks over at Flea Market Style, are hosting a blog party. Their blog is really beautiful and has lots of great decorating ideas to help make your house a home. It's definitely worth a visit. They've asked everyone to post their favourite flea market find at the party. This is mine.

We don't have flea markets in England, but we do have "antiques" fairs. They are about as close as I remember to the flea markets I used to visit in Canada and the US when I was growing up, so I hope this counts! I found this lovely vase at one of them, in a tiny village in West Berkshire.



I was visiting the antiques fair with my cousins, four of whom were over from Canada. The jug caught my eye from all the way across the room and I just had to have it. I'm a huge fan of anything blue and this was such a gorgeous shade of my favorite color - everytime you looked at it from a different angle it changed. It was priced at £25 (around $40) which I thought was pretty good, but it must have been my lucky day because as soon as the stall holder saw me looking at it, she said "You can have it for £10 if you like". I had not even said a word! I snapped it up straight away and brought it home.

It is stamped Grimwades Byzanta Ware which was made in Stoke-on-Trent in the Midlands of England. From the research I have done it probably dates from the 1930's. Every time I look at it I smile remembering a really fun day out with family, and my terrific luck in getting something I loved so much for such a great price!