Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Emergency Soup

I really enjoyed the blog parties I attended on Friday, so I decided to attend some more today. I think blog parties are a great idea, and a really good way to get to know about more of the super blogs out there. So whilst I normally post recipes on my Recipe of the Week page or my Food Blog, Recipes from the 21st Century Housewife’s Kitchen, today I’m posting a recipe in my actual blog so I can join in again. I’ve linked this post to Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays at Blessed with Grace, Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam and Tuesdays at the Table at All The Small Stuff. Do go on over and join in the parties!

It’s that time of year again - the time when colds and flu strike and make folks feel really awful, just when they want to be enjoying themselves. Yesterday my son came home from college full of cold and feeling really terrible. All he wanted was a nice hot bowl of soup. The only problem was my favourite soup recipe takes rather a long time to make. I got to thinking that there had to be an easier and quicker way to a hot and comforting bowl of soup - and luckily, I was right. I just started with some chicken stock and went from there. Slicing the scallions thinly and grating the carrot means it all cooks up in no time. Sadly I had no cooked chicken in the fridge, but the soup still tasted really good without it. It would be even better if you did happen to have some though. I made this up in under fifteen minutes, and it made me look like a domestic goddess on a day I was really anything but! Thinking about it, this would be a great way to use up some of the leftover Thanksgiving turkey. You could freeze small portions of it ready to defrost in the microwave for similar emergencies!

To make Emergency Soup for one person you need:

8 to 12 ounces of chicken stock (made from cubes or packaged is fine)
1 “nest” of Chinese egg noodles
3 or 4 scallions (spring onions), very thinly sliced
half of a carrot, peeled and grated

Heat the stock on the stove over low to medium heat. Add the scallions and grated carrot. Put a lid on the pan and simmer for about ten minutes.

Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to package directions. When they are ready, drain them and add to the vegetables and stock. (If you did have some cooked chicken or turkey in the fridge you could add it too at this point.) Heat through and serve.

Instant comfort - whether you have a cold or not!!