Thursday, December 17, 2009

Christmas Recipes at the Holly Bloggy Christmas Bash


It’s the fourth day of the Holly Bloggy Christmas Bash, and I’m joining in over at Simply Sweet Home where Jerri is hosting a Christmas Recipe exchange. This recipe has been in my family for years and was given to me by my Aunt Dorothy when I was about ten years old. We always had these at Christmas time, and at the big New Year’s Day dinner Aunt Dorothy always used to have at her house. This recipe is really , really easy and very, very yummy!

Butterscotch Squares with Vanilla Wafers

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1 cup butterscotch morsels
1 - 8 to 9 ounce package of vanilla wafers, cut or broken into pea-sized pieces
1 teaspoon vanilla

Butter an eight inch square pan.

Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Add the sugar and egg, blending quickly to avoid the egg scrambling. Stir to blend well. Put the pan back on the stove on medium heat. Stir constantly until the mixture boils. Allow to boil for one minute, stirring constantly so the mixture does not stick.

Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla wafers, nuts, butterscotch morsels and vanilla.

Press the mixture firmly into the prepared eight inch square pan. Cover with foil and store in the refrigerator. Cut in small pieces to serve.

I’ve also been posting Christmassy recipes these last few weeks both here in my blog, on my Recipe of the Week pages and over at my food blog, The 21st Century Housewife’s Kitchen. You might like to try some of these:-



Mincemeat and Brandy Cake



Creamy Christmas Turkey with Rice



Christmas Parsnip Soup

There is also my Christmas Gravy, My Mom’s Mincemeat Oat Squares, Christmas Cherries and Christmas Squares.

Hope you enjoy them! Do be sure and pop back to see me tomorrow when I’ll be announcing a new Giveaway in partnership with the nice people at Cookware.com.