Friday, January 29, 2010

The 21st Century Housewife's© Easy Supper Omelettes


Although traditionally for breakfast, omelettes make a really tasty supper. They are quick, easy, nutritious and economical too.

I used to struggle to make omelettes as I’m not terribly good at complicated flipping manoeuvres, but I’ve found another method that works for me. Instead of trying to turn the omelette, I cook the top under the broiler or grill and then all I have to do is fold it in half, which even I can manage!

Most kids love omelettes, particularly if you let them choose what goes in them. Typical fillings of ham, cheese and chopped tomato are all kid friendly, and I always put the ketchup bottle on the table. I have to admit I’ve always liked a bit of ketchup on omelettes – except some of the more exotic ones!

That is the beauty of omelettes; they can be so simple, or they can be really special. The other night I made roasted vegetable omelettes for dinner and I got tons of compliments. I already had the roasted vegetables on hand and served them with hash brown potatoes, but you could serve them with a nice big salad if you prefer. Either way there is very little effort involved (okay, I admit it, I used ready-made frozen hash browns!).

If you need to make several omelettes, they will keep warm in a low oven so you can serve them all at once, although they taste best served immediately. It all depends on how many oven-safe frying pans you have. I find my ten-inch Tefal frying pans work really well, and the omelettes I make in those using the recipe below will serve a hungry adult or two children.

Filling suggestions are below the main recipe. I highly recommend adding just a pinch of dried oregano to the basic mixture. I would never have thought about using it, but on our last visit to Cyprus the chef made omelettes to order in front of us at the breakfast buffet and he made a big deal about always throwing a bit of oregano in the mixture before he cooked it. It makes the omelettes taste really wonderful.

To make one large omelette you need:-
2 to 3 eggs
1 tablespoon milk
a handful of grated cheddar, Gruyere, Swiss or Monterey Jack cheese
other filling ingredients*
salt and pepper to taste
pinch of good dried oregano (optional)
 
see below

Heat a small oven safe non-stick pan on the stove top.  Turn the broiler/grill portion of your oven to medium. 
 
Lightly beat the eggs and milk together.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Pour the egg mixture into the hot non-stick pan.  Gently pull the edges of the egg mixture towards the centre of the pan with a non stick egg lifter (often called a ‘slice’ in England) so that you get a nice flat omelette. Now put your choice of filling ingredients on half of the omelette and then sprinkle cheese over the whole thing. Let it cook for a couple of minutes.
 
Lift a corner of the omelette and have a peak at it.  If the bottom is nice and brown, it’s time to transfer it to the grill.  If not, watch and wait for a couple more minutes until the bottom of the omelette is a nice golden brown colour. 
 
Transfer the pan from the stove top to under the grill.  Watch the omelette carefully.  When it starts to brown and puff up, remove it from the oven and fold it in half using the egg lifter.  Serve and enjoy!

*Fillings

ham, chopped tomato, canned niblet corn, any frozen vegetable (including mixed vegetables), thawed

canned artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and chopped or frozen artichoke hearts thawed and cut in bite size pieces along with canned or bottled roast peppers

roasted vegetables – I almost always keep roast vegetables in the fridge.  They are so easy to make.  Simply cut up a red onion, two or three multi-coloured peppers and a zucchini (courgette).  Toss them in about two tablespoons of olive oil and a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and roast in a hot oven for about thirty to forty minutes - stirring occasionally - until the vegetables are softened and golden, but not charred.  You can read my previous entries about roast vegetables by clicking here.  These can be used immediately or cooled and stored in the refrigerator for three or four days. 

Asparagus (used canned or frozen out of season)

I’ve linked this post up with Friday Food over at Momtrends, Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum, The Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap, and Food on Fridays at Ann Kroeker’s blog. Pop on over and say hello.

1 comment:

  1. this is a great dish for breakfast or dinner and excellent for using up leftovers. love it.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.