Saturday, January 23, 2010

An Oddly Lovely Vegetable


This cute little guy arrived in my organic vegetable box yesterday morning, and according to the newsletter that came with it, it’s a “Festival Squash”. What a great name.

There are a lot of things you can do with squash, and although I never liked it as a child, I quite enjoy the taste of it now. Trouble is, this one is so beautiful - such a sunny yellow with gorgeous orange stripes (kind of like a cute little baby pumpkin) I don’t think I could possibly eat it. Maybe I’ll just use it as a decoration...

Or maybe I’ll carefully cut the top off and hollow it out. Next I could sauté the squash flesh with some onion, simmer it all together with some stock, season and purée it. Then I could gently warm the squash shell in the oven and use it as a serving dish for the soup. Beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.