Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Inspiration

There are some wonderful shops in the Bay Area. As well as branches of Crate and Barrel, Sur la Table and the iconic Williams Sonoma, there are smaller concerns like the wonderful Domus in Los Gatos. For the last thirty years Domus has been a locally owned, family run business and their beautiful store is a virtual treasure-trove of ideas.

I love this artificial wreath:-



The picture doesn’t do it justice, but it is the sort of thing that would be appropriate all year round, either on a front door or inside on a wall in the kitchen. Unfortunately it is far too big to fit in my suitcase! I also loved these tablescapes:-




These are perfect for Spring entertaining. I felt like I was lost in a wonderland when I saw the wall full of pull out drawers with place mats, tablecloths and napkins in practically every colour imaginable.

I really loved this display too with all its gorgeous Spring colours.



The little ‘cupcakes’ are actually jewellery/trinket boxes. The top of the cupcake comes off to reveal four tiny compartments inside. What a lovely gift they would make.

I did treat myself (and our house) to one thing - this pretty door mat.



There are French doors in our kitchen leading out to a patio and we really need a mat there. This one isn’t washable, but it was so pretty I could not resist. My husband found it hanging in a display of lots of gorgeous door mats and it is the perfect colours for my kitchen which is blue and shades of cream. Plus it is small enough to fit in my suitcase rolled up and it’s under my import allowance - result!!

Even though I can’t buy all the things I would like to at Domus (or any of the other delightful kitchen and home stores here) the inspiration the very talented display people provide me with is wonderful to take home. It’s hard to duplicate in England as we just don’t have the same amount of choice at affordable price points, but every once in a while I’m lucky enough to be able to bring some of the cool ideas I see over here in North America into my British home. It gives it the wonderful eclectic vibe I love in decorating and that makes me very happy indeed.




(No promotional consideration was received for this post, and the opinions voiced are my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.