Monday, March 22, 2010

The Ideal Home Show

It’s that time of year again; the Ideal Home Show is on at Earl’s Court in London. This year they have divided the show into seven sections - Idea Interiors, Ideal Home Improvements, Ideal Gardens, Ideal Home Gadgets, Ideal Shopping, Ideal Woman and Ideal Food. There was definitely a lot to see. The Ideal Home Show Village featured three full size houses including the amazing Cub Home by Cube Housing Solutions. As I’m used to a much larger and more luxurious home, I’m not sure I’d want to live in one, but these environmentally friendly pre-formed and furnished cubes which fit together to make anything from a one bedroom to a four bedroom house truly are fascinating.




They are ultra modern and have very “square” lines, but they are also incredibly light and bright due to the huge number of windows and use of white. Marketed as an “off the shelf modular system that allows your Cub to grow as your family does”, the idea is that you just add more cubes as time goes on. It’s a cool idea.

I liked some of the staged rooms that were on display in the interiors section:-


I’m not sure I could ever be that brave with colour but it did look very nice. My red living room is as brave as I’ve ever gotten, and I have to admit that I loved these classic creams.



And can you believe this amazing kitchen is from IKEA?



I think the gardening section was my favourite, although even it seemed to suffer from a sense of disorganisation that was apparent throughout the show. It’s like they tried to include both too many ideas and too many things in too small a space and as a result it seemed that very little of the show seemed to flow. But maybe that was just me.

I did like the “Mad Hatter’s Tea Party” even it I’m not a hundred percent sure why it was in the gardening section (although I’m told it is because Alice in Wonderland is set mainly in a garden).



I have to confess though that this garden highlighting recycling tickled me more than it inspired me. Am I the only one who thinks using a toilet as a planter is seriously weird?



I’m a big fan of recycling, but to me that is just a step too far!! I like the bathtub planter in the background though.

The cooking demonstration by Lesley Walters in the Ideal Food section was very good, as was the talk about gardening by Monty Don.

My husband and I had a lovely day out at the Ideal Home Show, which runs until April 5th. It was not the best one I have ever been to, but it’s definitely worth a visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.