Monday, April 26, 2010

The 21st Century Housewife’s© Strawberry and Macadamia Nut Salad


I’m so pleased that spring is well and truly here in England. The flowers are out and I’ve even got bluebells (one of the later bloomers in terms of English spring flowers) in my garden now. Now the clocks have gone forward it stays lighter longer and it’s a great time for easy and delicious meatless recipes.

I have been making a lot of salads recently, both complete dinner salads and side salads. Inspired by a couple of recipes my cousin Esther makes, I got a bit creative the other night and used strawberries in a savoury side salad. It was delicious. If you wanted to make it a main meal, you just need to up the quantities a bit and serve it with some nice hot crusty rolls. Mixing fruit and nuts together with salad leaves can make for great meals and side dishes, and provided you go easy on the dressing and don’t use too many nuts, they are a very healthy choice as well.

I bought a ready-made speciality aged balsamic vinegar dressing from a local grocery store, but any good balsamic dressing would be fine. You can even make one yourself using 2 to 3 tablespoons each of olive oil and good aged balsamic vinegar plus 1 tablespoon of honey shaken together.

Strawberry and Macadamia Nut Salad
Serves 3 - 4

About four to five cups mixed salad leaves (I used a bag of mixed salad and added about a cup of torn iceberg lettuce)
10 - 12 large strawberries, washed and sliced in about four slices each
2 handfuls of macadamia nuts
3 - 4 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar dressing

Toss everything together in a salad bowl. It’s nice to hold back a couple of strawberries and a few nuts just to decorate the top of the salad.

I’m linking this post up to Meatless Monday at Hey What’s For Dinner Mom? Do go along and visit for some great vegetarian recipes. I’ve also linked up to Mouthwatering Mondays at A Southern Fairytale where you can find even more great recipes!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.