Sunday, May 23, 2010

Easy Saturday Night Barbecue


It was a gorgeous evening tonight.  We had been out all day so we picked up some things on the way home and fired up the barbecue when we got back.  I always used to think that barbecuing was hard work, but that was before I realised that barbecuing is much more fun if you just keep things simple. 

I already had some beautiful chicken breasts that I had bought from our butcher on Friday, so I marinated them in about a quarter cup of mild olive oil, a tablespoon or so of balsamic vinegar and some Montreal Chicken Seasoning.  I didn’t have time to let them marinate for long, but even a few minutes can really enhance their flavour.  I left their skin on to keep them moist, and popped them on the grill with some foil wrapped baking potatoes (I did microwave the potatoes before wrapping them in foil to give them a head start) and left them to cook while I threw together  some side dishes.




A really easy salad for a summer evening is my Strawberry and Macadamia Nut Salad - even the Chicago Sun Times liked it!  It doesn’t just taste delicious, it looks really pretty too.



I also threw together a couscous and roasted vegetable salad.  I almost always have roasted veggies in the fridge and I just rustled up some couscous (it only takes five minutes), mixed them together and tossed in a tablespoon or so of oil and a sprinkling of balsamic vinegar.  (For really flavourful couscous, add a crumbled up stock cube with the boiling water.) A bit of chopped fresh parsley is nice sprinkled over top as well.



I did nip out and turn the chicken a couple of times to be sure it cooked evenly, but that was really the only other thing I had to do. The chicken cooked up beautifully, and dinner was delicious.  The whole thing came together in less than forty minutes, and it really was so easy!



(The strawberry salad is out of shot as I put salad bowls out at each place so it didn’t have to get muddled up with everything else - particularly the ketchup!  But then, what’s a barbecue without a bit of ketchup!?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.