Friday, December 24, 2010

From My Home to Yours


The Christmas preparations are nearly finished.

Yesterday the lovely Emma from Green Parlour dropped off the new wreath and floral arrangements I ordered (I always like to refresh my fresh floral Christmas decorations a couple days before Christmas.) I’m so pleased with them.



This morning my husband, son and I went to Pangbourne in what is becoming a traditional Christmas Eve visit. We stopped into the gift shop, the bakery and the little grocery store for some last minute bits and pieces and also went to Green’s, our wonderful local butchers, to collect our Christmas order. We were queued out into the street to collect it and everyone was chatting. There were some amazing things coming out of the shop. Beautiful pastry wrapped Beef Wellingtons, geese, hams and of course, turkeys. Everyone was in a festive mood, and folks reminisced about Christmases gone by - and one lady told us about a dish she once had featuring seven birds, all cooked inside each other (a turkey somehow stuffed with a duck, goose, pheasant, quail and two other birds I can’t remember).  It was fascinating, if not very appetising!

Anyway, after a very pleasant few minutes chatting with everyone, we collected our turkey, a cooked, sliced ham, a wonderful pork pie (the pastry wrapped cooked kind with hard boiled egg in the centre) and luscious pastry wrapped sausage rolls.

We came home and had some of the fresh sausage rolls for lunch with some wintery apple salad. While my husband, who is working from home today, works in the study, there is a frenzy of cooking, present wrapping and card delivering going on. I am loving every minute of it.

I hope that wherever you may be you are loving every minute of the Christmas season too!

 From my home to yours, wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas!

April
The 21st Century Housewife

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.