Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Monday Musings - On Wednesday


The holiday season has really caught up with me and I let Monday Musings slide last week, thinking I’d have time to do another vlog this week. Well not only do I not have time, but I’ve got my cold back, and my voice isn’t very good! So Monday Musings is going to have to be a written post this week.

To be honest, Mondays are such a busy days for me I have decided to move my vlog to Wednesdays in the New Year. Now all I have to do is think of a name. If you’ve got any suggestions, please do let me know! I’m also going to expand it to include more than just links - it’s really evolving at the moment so watch this space and be sure to visit on 12th January for the first edition of my new and improved weekly vlog!

Right, on to some of the great things I’ve found in my travels round the blogosphere in the last two weeks.

One of my first shout outs goes to a cool new site I have joined as a contributing writer - Miss Simplee Sufficient. With the goal of “Encouraging every woman to become more aware of the world around her and to also truly understand the importance of developing and strengthening the skills she needs so that she can become “Simplee” the best woman she can be”, this is a great resource for all kinds of women, from corporate executives to stay at home moms and everything in between. It’s well worth a visit, and you can see my articles by clicking on my author profile here.

I have to confess I have not got a proper start on my Christmas baking yet this year, so the timing was perfect for me to stumble on 12 Types of Christmas Cookies without Going Insane on Life as a Mom. With some great tips on batch baking, getting ahead and using your freezer, this article is a great resource for everyone from the first time baker to the seasoned professional.

Recently I found a great new blog out in the blogosphere called Comfy in the Kitchen. Written by a lovely lady named Janelle, this new blog is beautifully laid out and features lots of yummy recipes with step by step instructions. Well worth a visit!

Another cool site I stumbled upon recently was Crafty Kayla, written by Kayla, an American currently living in Finland with her partner, a professional hockey player. One of the things I like most about Kayla’s blog is the great free ‘printables’ that she offers. There’s a lovely one of “Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus” that could be the basis for many a homemade Christmas gift or craft. To see it, please click here.

Laura at Hey What’s For Dinner Mom has started a new blog linkie called The Pennyworthy Project. Laura is the hostess of “Just Another Meatless Monday” and this linkie promises to be every bit as popular as it is. At the moment, the linkie is evolving, and as Laura writes, “It's a link party, it's inspiration, it's thrifted Sunday, it's your Etsy store, it's your weekly craft check-in, Ebay listings, art journal posts, recipes to share, presents to make, decorating on a budget, book selling and anything else you want it to be.” Do go along and check out Laura’s new Pennyworthy Project and don’t forget to link up your posts!

I’ve recently found a wonderful online magazine called The Arbuturian, which is a publication with real personality, and lots of really interesting articles. Some of them are very tongue in cheek,  but they are all a great read. They are also an excellent resource and highlight many of the great and the good in British food, fashion and lifestyle.  Maddy York’s article on The Perils of the Party Season will make any woman smile and Angela Clutton’s Lingerie Guide for Men provides some very wise advice that had me nodding my head and smiling knowingly at the same time!

They also led me to Vintage Seekers, a website offering vintage 20th century design and collectibles. Although I am unlikely to be doing much Christmas shopping from it as most of the pieces on offer are rather expensive, if there was ever a place to go ‘window shopping’ on the internet, this is definitely it. They have a mesmerising collection and are guilty of keeping me from my work for far too long while I perused their tempting indulgences. So far, I’ve been good and bought absolutely nothing, although I confess to being tempted by this

And last but by no means least, check out these gorgeous Mini Pecan Tarts topped with Mascarpone and Glazed Pecans from Butter Yum. The picture alone will tell you why I definitely want to try making these in the New Year when things settle down. Actually, who am I kidding? Things never ‘settle down’ around here, and I probably wouldn’t know what to do if they did!

So that’s it for Monday Musings for this year! Watch this space for the new and improved Wednesday vlogs starting on 12th JanuaryAnd if you do visit any of the blogs or sites I mentioned, it would be lovely if you would leave them a comment and let them know April at The 21st Century Housewife sent you.

In the meantime, don’t forget to come back and visit The 21st Century Housewife and The 21st Century Housewife’s Kitchen for lots of recipes, ideas and inspiration as we celebrate the holidays and then a very special 18th birthday in early January.

Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. This is such a fun blog. I can travel far, then come back and off I go again! Thank you for sharing all the fun links.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.