Monday, January 23, 2012

Chinese New Year at The 21st Century Housewife

Celebrated by billions of people all around the world, today is the most important of all Chinese holidays, the Chinese New Year. I have fond memories of watching the wonderful New Year parades from Macy’s seventh floor window over looking Union Square in San Francisco. The colour and joyful noise of the celebrations echo through the streets and it really is a sight like nothing I had ever seen before. 

The Chinese calendar is based on a complex calendar system that uses both lunar and solar cycles. This means Chinese New Year falls on different dates every year, sometime between January 21 and February 21 of the Gregorian calendar. Each year is associated with one of twelve animals in the Chinese zodiac. It’s the Year of the Dragon this time. I don’t follow horoscopes, but it’s fun to find out what animal you are. (I’m a snake, my husband is a horse and our son is a rooster.)

When we are at home for Chinese New Year, I like to make a Chinese influenced dish for dinner. If you feel the same way, here is some recipe inspiration for you! 




And if you participate in Meatless Monday as I do, here are some vegetarian suggestions. 



Happy New Year of the Dragon to all who are celebrating!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.