Monday, December 07, 2009

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like....


Yesterday we got the Christmas decorations down from the attic. Our attic isn’t properly finished yet; the builders didn’t put boards down so everything we have put up there is kind of balanced between the beams of the roof. Also the entrance hatch is not as big as I would like - and every time we try to get a ladder installed we get builders looking at us, shaking their heads and saying how difficult (read ‘expensive’) it will be to put a permanent ladder in. This means that getting things down from the attic involves my husband balancing on a free standing ladder that I am holding as steady possible, whilst he reaches round the edges of our huge attic trying to get hold of the boxes. It makes for an interesting (read ‘quite frightening’) time when you are dealing with the man you love, fragile Christmas ornaments and heavy boxes full of Christmas trees and garlands. (The Health and Safety people would definitely not approve!) Let’s just say I was relieved when my husband had come back down!

Normally our son would give us a hand, but he was away with friends this weekend. Although we could have used an extra pair of hands, it was nice to see him go and enjoy himself, and it meant my husband and I had some much-needed time together. I think it is so important to take time out together as a couple. Even just a day or so together can be incredibly refreshing. Life gets so busy these days it is easy to feel pulled apart by things outside yourselves - a little break can make all the difference, even if you just stay around home and do ordinary things like we did!

Things like shopping - which admittedly was a bit busy as Christmas shopping really has started in earnest here - and even choosing a few new Christmas decorations together. Despite how busy it all was, it was seriously fun. Saturday evening we went out for dinner, to a lovely restaurant I’ve been wanting to try called Cerise in Reading’s Forbury Hotel. The food, atmosphere and service were all excellent. It was so nice to go on a “date” together! And of course Sunday, we decorated. (Oh and watched some of the original “Get Smart” series which my husband bought on DVD - I haven’t laughed so much in ages.) So although we didn’t do anything out of the ordinary, just being together was the most wonderful thing!

Despite lots of work, the Christmas decorating is far from finished, but that is not a bad thing as it means my son and I can also do some of it together too. I’m keenly aware that the hours I get to spend with him now are precious and few. Not only that, as he is now nearly 17, they are likely to get fewer as time moves on. This is a good thing in one way as it means that I have done a good job - he is confidently going out there and making a life of his own. However, as a mum it is very bittersweet! I just booked his first driving lesson in January today - where does the time go???

Well, I’m off to work on the decorations again - how are yours coming along??